People these days seem to be getting extremely confused as to what feminism really is, so I’m going to clear up any misconceptions by making a list of things that feminists do and do NOT believe.
Feminists DON’T believe that…
- Women are superior to men
- Men are superior to women
- White people are superior to people of color
- People of color are superior to white people
- Straight people are superior to LGBTQ+ people
- LGBTQ+ people are superior to straight people
- Christians are superior to non-Christians
- Non-Christians are superior to Christians
- Neurotypical people are superior to differently-abled people
- People with disabilities are superior to neurotypical people
Feminists DO believe that…
- Women are equal to men
- White people are equal to people of color
- LGBTQ+ people are equal to straight people
- Christians are equal to non-Christians
- Neurotypical people are equal to people with disabilities
See the difference (hint: look at words in bold text)?
The only reason feminism is called “feminism” is because it started out by being a movement that promotes equality for men and women. However, it has evolved into a multifaceted movement, called intersectional feminism or intersectionality. My personal belief is that if feminists say that men are equal to women, but also say that people of color are inferior to white people, they’re directly contradicting themselves. How can you fight for equality for one group while denying equality to another group? It doesn’t make any sense!