1. What was the first musical you ever saw?
I saw Charlotte’s Web at a local theatre when I was around 6 years old. The show featured several child actors, so I asked my mom if she thought I could do what the “big kids” were doing. My mom signed me up for a theatre camp the next summer, and ever since then, I’ve been in love with it.
2. What was your favourite musical growing up?
Probably Once On This Island because I was in it when I was 11 years old and I listened to the soundtrack obsessively even after I finished the show. The music in that show is sooooooo good!
3. Were you ever in a musical?
Yes! I’ve been in Charlotte’s Web, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Peter Pan, The Lion King, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Oliver, Fiddler on the Roof, South Pacific, Once On This Island, The Little Mermaid, and You’re A Good Man, Charlie Brown. Right now, I’m in an original musical revue called Evil For Good.
4. What was the first musical you saw on Broadway?
The Lion King. SOOOO GOOD!!!!!
5. If you could be any female character in any musical who would you be and why?
Ursula from The Little Mermaid because I love playing villains and I have a good vocal range for the part.
6. Which male character?
Bert from Mary Poppins because I’d get to be the dance captain for “Step in Time,” the most epic tap number in the history of epic tap numbers.
8. Who is your favourite theatre actress?
Renee Elise Goldsberry, the original Angelica Schuyler in Hamilton. No one will ever be able to truly replace her.
Lin-Manuel Miranda. Is there any other answer? The dude can act, sing, rap, and compose.
10. Favorite film adaptation of a musical?
The film adaptation of Hairspray is pretty awesome. I’ve seen it, like, a bazillion times.
11. What do you think is most underrated musical?
I have to say Matilda. It has a great storyline, characters with relatable flaws and backstories, and perhaps the most satisfying ending of any show ever.
12. Overrated musical?
I can’t really think of any that I’d describe as overrated.
13. What musical made you cry?
Les Mis was pretty sad.
14. What musical made you laugh?
I saw Matilda on Broadway, and there were some hilarious moments in that.
15. Are there any musicals you saw and hated?
I don’t hate any musicals, but there are some that I find dull, cliche, and boring, namely Grease.
16. What musical do you want to see as a film?
HAMILTON!!!!!! Or Wicked. Everyone says Wicked rocks, but tickets for it always sell out before I can see it!
17. Which musicals are you dying to see?
Hamilton and Wicked.
18. Any movie or book you think should be turned into a musical?
The book How My Private, Personal Journal Became A Bestseller already has a film adaptation (the Disney Channel movie Read It and Weep), but there’s lots of potential for an epic musical in it.
19. What is your all-time favourite musical?
That’s so hard! Probably Hamilton or Matilda.